Soup Recipe: Orange Carrot
Orange Carrot Soup is a fresh and creamy vegan soup that brings sunshine into the long winter days. Coconut milk gives this soup an indulgent silky texture, orange juice adds a nice tang and fresh ginger adds some spice. I played around with the spices by adding curry, caraway or allspice, but I like the simplicity of the flavors that really let the carrots shine.
Orange Carrot Soup
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40-55 min
Serving size: 4
- 2 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 cups orange juice (roughly 3 oranges)
- 1.5 cups coconut milk (1 can)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons finely minced ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook stirring occasionally for 5 min. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 5 min or until onions are soft and brown.
2. Add carrots, coconut milk, orange juice and vegetable stock.
3. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are very soft, roughly 30 to 45 min.
4. Add the ginger and puree with an immersion blender or transfer in to a food processor and puree until smooth in batches.
5. Return the puree to the pot, season with salt and pepper and heat until hot. If the soup is too thick, add additional stock.
By Jesse Lane Schelew, BSc, CNP