Pasta Recipe: Summer Cilantro Zucchini
Summer Cilantro Zucchini Pasta is light, fresh and deliciously vegan. Zucchini noodles are a refreshing gluten-free alternative to wheat noodles and the tangy avocado sauce is creamy without any dairy. The Spicy Lime Pumpkin Seeds add a protein crunch with a nice kick. This is the perfect meal to enjoy or bring to a potluck while zucchini is in season and you are looking for a unique refreshing dish.
Zucchini, also known as summer squash, is an excellent source of manganese which facilitates carbohydrate and protein metabolism. It is also very high in vitamin C which has antihistamine properties that can help reduce seasonal allergy symptoms. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant that is responsible for protecting good cholesterol and promoting heart health. Zucchinis contain a variety of minerals, including calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, that build and maintain healthy bones.
Prep time: 20min
Cook time: 25min
Serving size: 2 big servings or 4 sides
- 2 zucchinis, spiralized, grated or cut into noodles
- 1 red pepper, diced
For the sauce
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and roughly diced
- Juice of one lime
- 1 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Pepper to taste
Spicy Lime Pumpkin Seeds
- Juice of ½ lime
- Zest of ½ lime
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and roughly diced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 300F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor add the pumpkin seed coating (lime juice, lime zest, jalapeno pepper, salt, pepper and coconut oil) - and blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl toss the pumpkin seed in the coating and spread evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 25min, stirring every 5min.
- After the nuts have been cooking for 10min, start preparing the zucchini noodles and red pepper and place in a large bowl.
- Place the sauce ingredients (avocado, lime, garlic, salt cilantro, coconut oil and pepper) in the same blender you used to make the nut coating and blend until creamy.
- Massage the sauce into the zucchini pasta, top with the pumpkin seeds and serve.
by Jesse Schelew, Certified Nutritional Practitioner