Lower Abdominal Pain During Pregnancy
Although lower abdominal pain during your pregnancy can be frightening, it is actually a normal and harmless condition, into and of itself. During the early part of your pregnancy it may mean that your uterus is expanding to carry the baby, among other minor reasons. But along with other symptoms such as fever, chills, spotting or bleeding, or a severe and consistent pain, something more serious may be happening. Some serious causes of lower abdominal pain during pregnancy are:
- ectopic pregnancy (when a fertilized egg has implanted itself outside of the uterus)
- potential miscarriage
- premature labour (before 37 weeks)
- placental abruption (a potentially life-threatening condition where the placenta separates from your uterus partially or completely, before the proper time)
- urinary tract infection (untreated can lead to a kidney infection)
- acute appendicitis
- gallbladder disease
If you think your lower abdominal pain may potentially be serious, contact your doctor or midwife.
Once a more serious condition is ruled out, you may seek natural healthcare for the following harmless, but uncomfortable reasons for lower abdominal pain:
- gas and bloating
- round ligament pain (pain caused by the stretching of ligaments that support the uterus - pain that is not too excruciating and goes away within a few minutes)
Your doctor or midwife will have some obvious ways to deal with these common symptoms, including rest, laxatives, and some other mild medications. But natural healthcare can do a little more. Acupuncture and TCM can solve your digestive issues while you are pregnant, and can help ease your bowels. Diet modification can do the same. Yoga poses and also massage therapy can help relieve your round ligament pain and keep you from being forced to 'rest' the pain away.
Contact us for a FREE consultation on how natural therapy can help you with lower abdominal pain during pregnancy that is caused by gas and bloating, round ligament pain, or constipation.
These links may also be helpful: