Recipe: Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup has been deemed a cold remedy for years. The heat of the soup helps clear congestion and some scientists believe that chicken soup may have anti-inflammatory effects. This comforting soup has simple flavors that will make anyone feel better!
Chicken Noodle Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes (add an additional 30 minutes if the chicken is not cooked)
Serving size: 6
- 6 cups organic chicken broth
- 2 organic chicken breasts or 2 cups of cooked organic chicken
- 2 bay leaves
- half a large onion (1 cup) chopped
- 3 stocks celery (1 ½ cup) chopped
- 2 large carrots (1 cup) chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp parsley
- 2 cups noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
1. If you are using raw chicken, pour the chicken broth into the pot with an additional cup of water and add the bay leaves and 2 chicken breasts. Boil the chicken for roughly 30 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot, then cool and shred the chicken into bite size pieces.
2. Add all ingredients (except for the noodles and cooked chicken) to a large pot and cook on medium for 20 minutes, or until the carrots are just starting to soften.
3. Add the noodles and chicken cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or as directed on the noodle package.
4. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy piping hot.
by Jesse Schelew, Holistic Nutritionist