What is Virtual Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is a medical profession that has moved to the forefront of health-care innovation in North America and elsewhere in the world. It's no wonder then, that this medicine can be offered online so as to allow patients the opportunity to
Focusing on prevention and using natural substances and treatments, naturopathic doctors support and stimulate the body’s ability to heal itself. The naturopathic approach is comprehensive, integrating scientific knowledge with several well-established alternative therapeutic systems (modalities), including:
- Lifestyle counseling
- Herbal medicine
- Nutritional supplements
- Chinese medicine and acupuncture
- Manual therapies
These naturopathic modalities can be divided into two categories:
1. Modalities that address the causes of disease: our interaction with the physical environment (what we eat, drink, and breathe), as well as the physical structure of our body. These are best addressed through holistic nutrition, herbal medicine, and Chinese medicine.
2. Modalities that address the underlying mental, emotional, spiritual, and constitutional causes of physical or psychological symptoms: these reflect the internal imbalance that persists even in an optimal environment and ideal lifestyle. These are best addressed through energy medicine, Chinese medicine, and psychotherapy.
By applying these two perspectives together, our clinic is able to offer a comprehensive array of solutions for preventing and treating virtually any health condition, including and especially those considered medically incurable.
Naturopathic Assessment and Treatment
Through an in-depth assessment, your Yellow Gazebo naturopathic doctor will strive to understand your complaints and symptoms at the deepest level. Catering to you personally, your ND will offer you a treatment plan intent on bringing revolutionary results and promoting your personal growth. This assessment involves an understanding of the following factors:
- Lifestyle and physical activity
- Food intake
- Psychological temperament (behavioural tendencies, strengths, weaknesses)
- Childhood history and family relationships
- Social environment
- Past physical or psychological trauma and stressful life transitions
- Past medical interventions
- Body chemistry (laboratory tests)
- Exposure to environmental toxins
Virtually all chronic and most acute conditions can benefit from naturopathic treatment, offering safe options for all ages from infants to the elderly, and for pregnant women as well. Some of these include:
- Endocrine (hormonal) and metabolic diseases such as diabetes, thyroid conditions, infertility, menstrual complaints, and menopause.
- Gastrointestinal disease, from baby colic to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) to Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Heart disease, high cholesterol, and hypertension.
- Autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and interstitial cystitis.
- Skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea.
- Asthma, allergies, chronic sinusitis, recurrent infections.
- Mental health conditions such as addictions, anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and autism.
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and other stress-related (psychosomatic) conditions.
Our Goal: personalized medicine for body, mind, and spirit
The primary goal of naturopathic treatment is to address the underlying causes of all illness rather than simply to treat individual symptoms. Naturopathic doctors take into account the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual dimensions of an individual when diagnosing and devising a treatment plan, working from a mindset that emphasizes sustainable, long-term resolution of complaints as well as improvement in overall well-being. Although most patients first choose naturopathic treatment because of chronic concerns, naturopathic methods can also be used to bring relief in acute situations.
Naturopathic doctors complete a minimum of seven years post-secondary education. This training includes the study of medical sciences comparable to that of medical doctors, in addition to exposure to many alternative treatment modalities. Some naturopathic doctors work as general practitioners, utilizing a variety of modalities, whereas other specialize in a primary modality, using other modalities in a supportive role or by referring out to other specialized practitioners.
$180 initial virtual naturopathy session (60 minutes)
$95 follow-up virtual naturopathy session (30 minutes)