Recipe: Chewy Cherry Macaroons
Chewy Cherry Macaroons are really easy to make and only have six ingredients. They are naturally sweetened with dried cherries and maple syrup, so you can pop them in your mouth guilt free! Cherries are high in antioxidants and the pigment that gives cherries their beautiful red color can reduce the risk of stroke.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Serving size: two dozen bite-size macaroons
Chewy Cherry Macaroons
- 1 cup dried cherries (look for a brand that is sugar free)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt (preferably Himalayan rock salt)
- Soak cherries in water for 30 minutes to an hour to soften them up.
- Preheat the oven to 300F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once the cherries are done soaking, blend them in a food processor with 1/4 cup of the soaking water along with maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract to creat a paste.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix the coconut and salt into the cherry paste.
- Scoop 1 tbsp sized balls of dough onto the baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, or until the bottom of the macaroons are golden brown.
- Remove the macaroons from the oven and let them cool for 30 minutes before storing or serving.
For a chocolate coating, whisk together 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil, 3 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder and 1/2 tbsp maple syrup to drizzle on top.
by Jesse Lane Schelew CNP, Holistic Nutritionist