Hot Apple Pie Smoothie Recipe
I love apple picking and I’m always looking for fun and unique way to enjoy all of the apples I pick. Apples are a great way to sweeten your smoothie because they are low in calories and contain plenty of soluble and insoluble fiber that slows down the absorption of the sugar into your blood stream. The two types of fiber found in apples contribute lowering cholesterol, thus reducing your risk of heart attack and stroke.
This hot apple pie smoothie recipe is sweetened with apples and spiced with ginger and cinnamon. It contains a handful of spinach, but I promise you won’t be able to taste it! This delicious smoothie is gluten free and vegan too.
Hot Apple Pie Smoothie
- 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 apple, roughly diced
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1/2 inch ginger, peeled
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- Juice 1/4 a lemon and pour the juice into a high powered blender or food processor.
- Add the water, apple, spinach, oats, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and protein powder and blend until very smooth.
- You can enjoy at this smoothie at room temperature or cool it down by blending in ice cubes. To enjoy it hot, either heat it by running a Vitamix for 5 minutes or gently warm it in a pot on the stove.
by Jesse Schelew, Holistic Nutritionist