The Best Ways to Treat TMJ Pain
Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) is a painful condition that affects the jaw joint and muscles that control the movement of the jaw. TMJ pain can be debilitating, making it difficult to eat, speak, and even sleep. If you suffer from TMJ pain, there are several ways to treat it. It's always a good idea to start with chiropractic care or physiotherapy, as these practitioners are primary healthcare providers. And at Yellow Gazebo they can likely help you on their own, though they may also recommend acupuncture, osteopathy and/or massage therapy.
In the meantime, before you come in for treatment, here are some of the best ways to relieve TMJ pain on your own:
- Apply Heat or Cold: Applying heat or cold to the affected area can help alleviate TMJ pain. Use a heating pad or a warm towel for 20 minutes several times a day to help loosen tight muscles. Ice packs can also help reduce inflammation and numb the pain.
- Practice Jaw Exercises: Simple exercises like opening and closing your mouth slowly, moving your jaw side to side, and gently massaging your jaw muscles can help reduce pain and improve flexibility.
- Avoid Hard Foods: Hard and crunchy foods can exacerbate TMJ pain. Stick to softer foods like soup, smoothies, and mashed potatoes. Avoid chewing gum or any other foods that require a lot of chewing.
- Reduce Stress: Stress can contribute to TMJ pain by causing you to clench your jaw. Try relaxation techniques like meditation or yoga to reduce stress levels.
- Use Pain Relievers: Over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen can help alleviate TMJ pain. Always follow the recommended dosage and speak with your doctor if you have any concerns.
- Wear a Mouthguard: If you grind your teeth at night, a mouthguard can help protect your teeth and reduce TMJ pain.
TMJ pain can be a debilitating condition, but there are many ways to treat it. Applying heat or cold, practicing jaw exercises, avoiding hard foods, reducing stress, getting a massage, using pain relievers, wearing a mouthguard, and seeking professional help are all effective ways to relieve TMJ pain. Try one or more of these treatments and see which works best for you.
If you’d like some more information on how we can help treat your TMJ pain, would like to book a free consultation, or would like to go ahead and schedule an appointment at Yellow Gazebo, please give us a call at 416-909-2334, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the online booking link below. We’ll be happy to help you get on your way to optimum health.